This is what I’ve been looking forward to-the next few weeks will most likely be an unending stream of idea diarrhea. The stuff just keeps flowing because I love the holidays. Christmas is one of my very favorite times of the year. Despite all of the poopy stuff we have going on (SHINY PENNIES FOR CHRISTMAS! SHINY PENNIES FOR CHRISTMAS!) I am determined I am going to delight in the things that I love most for the next month. Here are all of the reasons why I love this time of year so much.
1) Excuses to watch my favorite movies. What honey? You said you want to see “ELF”? Well let me pop it in. No movie makes me smile as much as that one.
There is nothing funnier than this…
2) CHRISTMAS MUSIC! I like the older music. I’m not a big fan of most of the newer stuff. My parents had the original Time Life Christmas records. The best music ever. I thought I had found it on CD a few years back, but it wasn’t the same. I’m still looking for the recording of Jack Jones singing “Do You Hear What I Hear?” Can’t find it anywhere! I love Handel’s Messiah, and of course I couldn’t be a band geek without mentioning Sleigh Ride. I have a story about that, you’ll hear it later this month.
3) Christmas lights They are even supposed to be up and lit this time of year! It’s so much fun to drive around and see all of the different displays people have in their yards and on their houses. We never decorate the outside of our house, so it’s especially fun to see what others have come up with.
I must admit I’ve never seen anything like this yet!
4) The goodies. I’m not going to lie and say that I won’t worry about how much I’m consuming, because I will. But when else do you get to eat so many homemade goodies. I hope to make some this year. I want to try to make the big pretzels dipped in chocolate. YUM!
I’ve never made these. Maybe I should!
5) Wrapping paper. I love beautiful wrapping paper adorned with ribbon and bows. One year I used wide gauzy ribbon to wrap all the packages for the growm-ups. I just love the way they look under the tree. I may be wrapping empty boxes this year but dammit they will be pretty!!!!
Not pretty, but quite useful.
6) Creative decorations. Oh darn, I have to spend lots of time on Pinterest finding ideas for decorating. Breaks my heart. This year I’m looking for ideas for a new wreath. Ours was looking pretty shabby last year. I’m thinking jingle bells and ball ornaments. We’ll see what I come up with!
7) The Wonder of It All. My kids are at very fun ages. It’s all so magical to them. I know that they are most concerned about what they are getting on the big day, but they are so excited about everything. The next few weeks we will see time and time again what we refer to in my family as “The Christmas Eyes”. I will find pictures of my sister and I with our Christmas eyes on, and will post them. I see these on my kids every year.
See? Christmas eyes!
So keep an eye out for all of my crazy posts. I have drafts galore lined up for the next few days! To paraphrase my daughter: “Let the holidays COMMENCE!”