I happened to be on Facebook today (imagine that) and saw a costume that made me think “That’s awesome” and “How I miss those days when I actually got to dress up and have fun on Halloween!”
And of course I just had to share…
I don’t actually have permission to use the image, so I’m asking you to first pretend that I’m wearing this as a costume, then you can click on the link and see it for yourself…
Right? Wine in a box? Is that not brilliant? You can bring your wine right with you! And then you talk someone into dressing as cheese. Get it?
Speaking of cheese, this got me to thinking about my post about cheap costumes from last year. It was pretty good. I even laughed as I read it. I forgot that this is where “Tie-Dye Girl” came from, therefore it’s a classic.
I revamped it a little bit and decided to add it on right here so you don’t even have to leave this page to read it (even though you had to sort of leave the page to look at the wine in a box costume.) Isn’t that nice of me?
Halloween Costumes for The Broke, Lazy, And Uninspired
So it’s October, it’s almost Halloween, and you need (or even WANT) to dress up for Halloween. But you’re broke, or busy, or lazy, or uninspired, or maybe even all of these things. You’re in luck-I just happen to keep having all kinds of ideas for Halloween costumes! These are one step above cutting holes in your white sheet and being a ghost (or a kleenex). Aren’t you glad you have me to help you out?
Will you get rocks in your trick or treat bag if you dress as the Charlie Brown ghost for Halloween? If you really want to take the time to do it, the tutorial for this is also on Instructables.com
1. Nudist-Take off all your clothes. You can also do a variation of this and yell “We’re going streaking!” over and over like in Old School, and be a streaker. Note: This probably isn’t such a good idea in colder climates. Or places where police will be patrolling. Or places where children will be present. Or other people will be present, period.
2. Jack of All Trades-Find a bunch of hats. Put them all on at once. Get it?
3. Person Who Just Got Up-Get out of bed. Don’t comb your hair. Stay in your pjs. May not work well for people who sleep in their undies or in the nude (then a different costume may be for you-see #1 or #6).
4. Poop-Dress in head to toe brown. Try to get people to guess who you are, like telling them you really stink. I don’t advise trying to make it smell authentic, because that’s just gross. Oh yeah, I guess you could be chocolate, too. Feel free to add scent to that.
5. Laundry-If you have one of those cheap round laundry baskets sitting around, cut a hole in the bottom just big enough to wiggle yourself in. Stuff some laundry around yourself. Now here’s the dilemna-are you clean laundry or dirty laundry? Clean laundry is nice-you could add dryer sheets and smell extra good. I think it would work especially well if you happen to have a fever, because it would be just like the laundry came out of the dryer, right?
6. Superhero-If you have a blanket that can be a cape, tie it around your neck. What you wear with it and use as props determines what superhero you are. Don an apron and rubber gloves-you’re Super Dishwasher! I personally like Captain Undergarments myself. A mask just adds to the effect…
7. Clean Person-Wrap a towel around yourself and put a shower cap on. Carry a bottle of shower gel, a loofah, a shower poof, you get the picture. Wearing stuff under the towel is optional, but make sure that towel is secure! I just happen to have a new shower head that we haven’t installed yet-oh the possibilities are endless with this one!
See? My kids already know the art of the cheap costume and they don’t even know it!
8. Bag Lady-We all seem to have those reusable grocery bags laying around (if you don’t, I’m sending the environment police after you!) Get a bunch. Carry them.
9. Mom Like Me-Don’t sleep the night before. Don’t do your hair. Wear a wrinkled top and yoga pants. Carry a coffee cup. Talk in incoherent sentences. Bonus if you can get a child to wrap themself around your leg. (No offense to most parents who actually have their act together, this is just me on a normal day.)
10. Target Employee-Have a red shirt? Khaki pants? You could probably find a nametag template somewhere, but again, remember that this may require a little work. You’ll have to be really nice and helpful, because remember you work at Target, not Walmart.
11. Art-Find a big picture frame. Take out the glass and backing so you just have the frame. Carry it with you and hold it up so you’re like someone in a painting. It’s art, so you can do whatever you want.
12. Fan Club-Find two small fans. Make a sign that says something positive like “We’re you’re biggest fans” and attach it to yourself. What would be even better? Have a partner and you can follow them around as his or her very own fan club. Unless it’s someone dressed as Charlie Sheen, I don’t think he has any fans anymore.
13. Fashion Police-Find a whistle. Dress in what you consider fashionable. Make a badge of some sort. Blow your whistle whenever you see things like people wearing white shoes after Labor Day.
So see, you’ll never be without ideas for costumes as long as I am around. I’m the queen of lame costumes, as you can see…
Protecting the earth from evil by dying them hideous shades of tie-dye! Look up in the sky, it’s a peacock, it’s a rainbow, it’s TIE-DYE GIRL!